Sunday, April 21, 2013

Impossible!

How it is possible that there’s a Madeleine L’Engle book out there I haven’t heard about!? There are definitely some I have yet to read- the Crosswick Journals, for example, because it turns out I have two copies of “The Summer of the Great-Grandmother” and am missing “The Circle of Quiet” (Rubiyaat Bookstores downtown has it though- I just have to pick it up at some point) and “Two-Part Invention”. I’ve read most of her adult ones and all of her young adult ones (or so I thought!). I was at the Caldwell Public Library a few days ago, picking up “Garment of Shadows” on CD and decided, on a whim, to check the Young Adult Section. There I found a copy of “Other Side of the Sun.” What is this madness!? I had never heard of it before but it sounds fascinating. I haven’t had a lot of time to read it yet because I have a million other books to skim through and three research papers to write but so far I’m loving it. I love how Madeleine doesn’t give anything away at first and lets the layers of stories build up and at the same time, pull apart. Some of her characters remind me of her other characters and there’s  strong connection to the O’Keefe stories because they take place in the same area. I thought at first there might be a connection to the Renier family from “House Like a Lotus” and “Dragons in the Water” but it’s not. Anyway, I can’t wait to be able to finish it. If you ever find a Madeleine L’Engle book at the thrift store or library sale, text me the name and if I don’t have it, pick it up for me! My goal is to one day own all of her books but I’d rather get them all from thrift stores. It’s just a thing….

Oh, and if you’ve never read any of her books (or nothing more than “A Wrinkle in Time”, then run to your library and do it right now!

No comments:

Post a Comment