Tuesday, January 21, 2014

30B430 Update

With fifteen months to go until my 30th birthday, I have officially completed three out of thirty. I'm 1/10 of the way there!

But, I am making some good progress on other items.

Today, I'm officially 17 days into my 30 for 30 yoga challenge. That is awesome.

I also have read six more books off of my BBC Book List. I finished "Winnie-the-Pooh", "I Capture the Castle" and "The Colour of Magic" while I was home for Christmas. "Winnie-the-Pooh" is always a classic and just adorable and sweet. "The Colour of Magic" was... bizarre. I mean, I eventually got into it but I'm not sure how I feel about Terry Pratchett yet. I've heard such good things about him but "The Colour of Magic" didn't hook me. I have at least two more Terry Pratchett books on my list, so I"m hoping it improves. Right now, I'm about to start the book he co-authored with Neil Gaiman and I'm hoping that endears him to me a bit more. I was really disappointed with "I Capture the Castle." I had been looking forward to reading this for a long time and once I did, I was disappointed. I think I maybe had too high of expectations. I just felt like the story ddddrrraaaggggeeeeddd on and I didn't empathize with the characters I thought I would.

Since coming back to Idaho, I've read "Cold Comfort Farm", "The Magus" and "Birdsong." I finished "Birdsong" in about two days and really enjoyed it. It was a bit brutal and I liked the way the two stories intertwined. I'm interested to read the new two in the trilogy at some point. I did not love "Cold Comfort Farm" in the way I thought I would. I guess I kind of expected a Nancy Mitford type story and I guess it kind of was but I don't know if it was the dialects that threw me or the fact that I kept forgetting the characters but I kind of dragged my way through it. And then, in a perfect, and literal example of not judging a book by its cover, I LOVED "The Magus". I thought I would drag my way through 656 pages of John Fowles but I could not put it down. It was like being on a controlled acid trip. I could not ever figure out what was real or not real or true or false or what but oh my did this captivate me. It's making me even reconsider if I could re-read "The French Lieutenant's Woman." And I never ever ever thought I'd say that.

So, BBC Book List-wise, I've got 28 more to go. Onward and upward!

In regards to everything else, I've got a few things up my sleeve. Jennie and I have plans to go skiing and technically I've never been to Bogus Basin before. We are also heading up to Sun Valley in a few weeks with Caitlin and I'm hoping to go to a hot spring and cross another Idaho place off of my list.

Caitlin is ready to teach me how to crochet.

Brooke promised to help teach me how to bake bread and honestly, I'd rather do it in her kitchen than try to do it in mine with my limited counter space.

Brooke also has a few free hot yoga classes left on her pass that she said I can use. Just have to find somehow to come with me to drive me home if I pass out.

I'm feeling good about this! Seriously, who wants to come join me on any of my adventures? 

1 comment: