Friday, February 20, 2015

Bonus! 30B430 #5 and #19

So how is this a bonus? Well, I went fishing and I visited a new place in Idaho! What exciting luck!

Kevin and Brooke were heading up to the cabin for the long weekend and asked if I wanted to join, along with some of their friends. Things worked out perfectly with finding someone to proctor my midterm and getting everything finished ahead of time so I gladly said yes. I packed a bag and multiple books and we hit the road Thursday night. Brooke, Heidi and I drove to Riggins on Thursday, stopping in McCall for dinner, and then drove up through Cottonwood, where we briefly stopped at the dog B&B (not a B&B for dogs for a B&B in the shape of a dog... yes...welcome to Idaho), and Lewiston, and finally through Asotin to the Snake River. Once there, we unloaded the car and loaded everything onto the boat and took that about10 minutes upriver to the cabin. It was the perfect size for the 7 of us who were there for the weekend and had a beautiful, big porch that overlooked the water. That was essentially my home for the next two days. 

We had a few excursions. On Friday, we took the boat up to the Oregon border (the cabin is essentially a few minutes north from where Idaho, Oregon, and Washington intersect) and then over to see some Nez Perce petrogylphs. On Saturday, Kevin, his friend Eric, and I walked about a mile up the back hill, checking out the water pump and the pipes from the neighbors home. We even saw some wild turkey running up the hill in front of us. 

We had delicious meals, courtesy of Jon and Tom, including some stuffed mushroom meatballs. Breakfast everyday was incredibly filling, and drinks were available around the clock. There was usually some movie on, whether it was a serious Liam Neeson movie, Caddyshack (I fell asleep....), Roadhouse (oh my, what a bizarre movie), or another fun comedy. I personally spent a lot of time out on the porch, in the rocking chair, reading. I made it through both Patrick Suskind's "Perfume" and Rosamund Pilcher's "The Shell Seekers". For a whiel, Brooke, Heidi and I hung out on the dock and fished, although the water was really muddy and we didn't end up catching anything. Because I was the youngest of the group, and kind of the odd man out, I just kind of did my thing, whether it was reading, or wandering, or lying out on the picnic table watching the stars, and I was totally fine with it. It was just so nice to get off the grid for a bit, know that all my work was taken care of, and relax for a weekend. 

I'm so grateful for this opportunity! If it had happened any earlier, I would have gotten two things checked off my list!        













































No comments:

Post a Comment