Monday, February 24, 2014

Most Recent Concert

So I just have to post some of the pieces we played this last concert because they were so great.

I really love John Williams and what I appreciate about this (despite it being HARD at times) is that it is uniquely Williams but also Copland-esque. My FAVORITE part is at the cool wind part at 1:36.

 

As much as I love the grand symphonic works of Beethoven, Tchaikovsky, Mendelssohn, etc., I have to admit that my nerdy little movie-loving heart warms when we get to play movie music. Especially something as epic as Lord of the Rings. 


                                 


Did you know that Richard Rodgers wrote music for a TV series called "Victory At Sea" about WWII and the Navy? I didn't. But I do know. And I LOVED this piece. I loved it so much. 

 


I know that it's a classic and it shouldn't be mocked but I cannot think about Orpheus in the Underworld without singing this in my head. Sorry, Offenbach. 




No comments:

Post a Comment