Thursday, August 22, 2013

Adventure Tuesday

I've always been interested in doing some hiking in the Owyhees, especially on those days when I don't want to drive all the way out to Boise and do the same hikes. I did a bit of research, talked to some friends, and eventually decided to try out Jump Creek/Jump Falls. Wanting a friend to come along with me, I called up Becky, who had one more day before she had to be back in the classroom officially. We drove out past Marsing and down Hwy 95 and then off onto some gravel roads until we found the Jump Creek parking lot. Poor air conditions (mainly because of the fires) as well as the HEAT made our hike a bit shorter but you could really hike in either directions for miles. It wasn't incredibly steep where we were but the hills just went on and on and on. The stark desert beauty was incredible and to look down into the ravine and see the green trees and bushes that grew around the stream was a bit surreal for the middle of the desert. Next time I need to get better bearings of directions so I can figure out where Lizard Butte and the the foothills are.

The best part was after the hike, when we walked through the ravine o get to the waterfall. Again, a waterfall and large pond in the middle of the freakin' desert is just surreal and the water was so cool and perfect after the hot hike. I jumped in to go underneath the waterfall (which is so much fun, and totally not deep at all) and I was probably dry four minutes after getting out of the water. I can't wait to go back and explore some more and then reward myself with another dip underneath the water fall. I love Adventure Tuesdays!




 
 















No comments:

Post a Comment