Tuesday, May 14, 2013

Recent Movies

I love my Netflix subscriptions because it gives me access to movies I've never heard of and that I would have never known I enjoyed. The last few weeks I've seen some fascinating films.


The Skin I Live In- This was captivating. It was all about obsession and how far someone will go to get what he wants. I had no idea what was coming and all the predictions I made didn’t end up happening (thankfully- I was predicting some pretty dire things…) Although I wasn’t sure about Antonio Banderas, the entire premise was absolutely fascinating. I later went on to watch "Talk to Her" which had similar themes about obsession but was also fantastic, yet incredibly uncomfortable (just like The Skin I Live IN)


Safety Not Guaranteed- I love Jake Johnson but Aubrey Plaza seemed too much like April on Parks ‘n Rec. I can handle that for 22 minutes but for an hour and a half was a little much. I loved their third friend, Aruon, though. Reminded me almost of an Abed-type character. The entire thing seemed pretty realistic until the very end but it was a unique premise and there were moments that definitely made me laugh. I guess I ended up expecting something different from what I ended up seeing.


Conspiracy- First of all, here’s what I posted on facebook while I was watching this: Thoughts after watching the first 15 mins of HBO's "Conspiracy": 1) how exhausting must it have been to Heil Hitler ever time you greeted someone? 2) if you took a drink every time Neumann said "four year plan" you'd be on the floor. 3) I'm not sure how I feel about Colin Firth, Stanley Tucci, Kenneth Branagh and Bates as Nazis. That being said, I really enjoyed “Conspiracy” especially because it felt like watching a play. Plus, it’s fascinating to think of the discussions that must have taken place to come up with the details of the Final Solution.


Uncertainty- I usually like stories that kind of follow two different paths, where you don’t’ really know what’s real and what’s not and where you’re guessing if the stories are going to cross or anything. “Uncertainty” identified the two stories by color- Yellow and Green. You could tell what story was being told by looking at the colors the two main characters were wearing. Unfortunately, my attention wasn’t kept like I hoped it would. The Yellow story was not fast enough and the Green story just kind of dragged on. Even Joseph Gordon-Leavitt couldn’t spark my interest enough, and that’s pretty dire.


Footnote- So many feelings after watching this movie! First of all, I loved that it was centered around the Israel Prize because I felt so familiar with that. There were so many tough decisions that had to be made and so many feelings of frustration that was more complicated than I would have imagined watching a movie about scholars wining the Israel Prize. It’s an amazing film, though.


Argo- I LOVED this. I’ve managed to watch almost all of the Academy Award movies over the last few weeks (Lincoln, Zero Dark Thirty, Silver Lining’s Playbook) but Argo was maybe one of my favorites. I think Ben Affleck is an incredible director and he’s not too shabby as an actor either. I didn’t know much (anything, to be honest) about this whole situation but I was drawn in from the first moment. I was skeptical about all the details they were going into with the creation of the fake movie but I’m so glad that they did because it all paid off. I was nearly in tears at the end when they get out of Iranian airspace. Such a powerful film.


Vertigo- I love Alfred Hitchcock movies. I love James Stewart. I love San Francisco. I love twists and turns. I love this movie. I also love hokey old trailers.


Moonrise Kingdom- Even if the entire movie was terrible, I would love this movie simply because of the use of Britten’s “A Young Person’s Guide to the Orchestra.” Luckily, the cast was phenomenal (Edward Norton is always a plus), Frances McDormand, Bruce Willis, Bill Murray. The two kids were wonderful as well- so sweet and innocent. This is a movie I would buy and watching many times. Mostly so I can memorize all the witty things that were said (my favorite: Jiminy cricket, he flew the coop!)


The Giant Mechanical Man- This was labeled as a comedy. It really wasn't. There were some funny bits but I liked it because it was just real. It was true, it was not overly emotional or sappy, it was just real life. Chris Messina and Jenna Fischer were just wonderful. I wanted to smack Topher Grace. A lot.


Compliance- Guys, this movie. I just don't even know. Do a bit of research, read up on the true story behind the movie and ask yourself how this could have happened? I mean, seriously. Does nobody at some point think this isn't OK? Do they never do anything? There were some comments about how these people worked at fast-food restaurants and so naturally weren't smart but I don't buy that. None of them had ever seen a Law and Order episode and knows what is and isn't OK? This was the most frustrating movie ever. Ugh.



 What movies have YOU seen recently and what do you recommend?

No comments:

Post a Comment