Friday, May 30, 2014

A Day at the Aquarium

A few years ago, the Idaho Aquarium opened (to much scandal and controversy: just google it) but things have seemed to temper a little bit so when Hanna told me she and Michelle were taking the kids, I asked if I could tag along. I hadn't been yet but had wanted to for awhile and so this was a great opportunity. Because Hanna home-schools the kids, we got a private tour with one of the employees who took us around the entire place and gave us some great information. For a building in a strip mall, they actually have a lot of great things. There are probably 40 different little tanks with a variety of exotic fish, jellies, sea horses, and then others with tree frogs, lizards and geckos, various amphibians and reptiles. Then there were large tanks with region habitats, including a South American tank and my favorite, the sharks and the rays which you could touch as they swam by. I could have sat all day with my hand in the water and the sharks and rays gliding under my fingers. I loved that. One part that I thought was quite clever was the old motor boat they had converted into a cold water tidepool area. The kids loved being able to feed the rays and they all got the opportunity to touch the lizards and a little boa constructor. I can't say much about the controversies surrounding the aquarium but I really enjoyed my time there and the company could not be beat!





























No comments:

Post a Comment