Sunday, May 4, 2014

The Cabinet of Dr. Caligari

So Bailie loves all things German and all this creepy and so when I was picking out some movies at C of I last week and noticed their copy of the Cabinet of Dr. Caligari, I had to pick it up and let her watch it. Now, maybe 10:30 at night when I was pretty sleepy wasn't the greatest time for me but she loved it. What a fantastic movie it is- although you have to be prepared for something very unlike the big blockbuster hits you see today.

The music is creepy, the colors that they use (it's been digitally remastered and watching it on the large screen in the media room was awesome) were vibrant yet subtle, the facial expressions the actors had to use to express their thoughts and emotions were enviable. I absolutely loved the makeup as well, almost to the point where I kind of want to dress up like Cesare for Halloween. Sadly, most people wouldn't get it, unfortunately. I loved the sets and the props and of course, the story is amazing. The Cabinet of Dr. Caligari basically invented the idea of the twist ending and the twist certainly doesn't disappoint.

If you've never seen it, take 75 minutes of your day, turn off some lights, and enjoy the spectacle that is Germany's best horror film of the silent era. You won't regret it.


No comments:

Post a Comment