Thursday, May 1, 2014

Secret Garden rehearsals

It's been ten years (actually more than ten years!) since I last played in the pit. As a sophomore in high school, I played the cello in WHS's production of "The Wiz" and then my senior year, I joined five other people in an "upstairs" apartment and played the keyboard and did the sound effects for "Little Shop of Horrors." It's fascinating how I can still listen to the "Little Shop of Horrors" soundtrack, sing every single word, and still pick out my parts in all of the singing and the other musical parts.

A few weeks ago, I got an email asking for volunteers to play for Boise Music Week's production of "The Secret Garden." I was kind of familiar with the music and definitely familiar with the story and I figured, why not? I missed the first two rehearsals so the first rehearsal I attended with the cast was a little rough. It didn't help that I couldn't find where we were and the two seconds it took to get from my car to the rehearsal room, it was POURING and nearly hailing. Awesome.

Earlier today was our last orchestra-only rehearsal and guys, it was still a bit rough. I really like the people who are playing in the orchestra and there are some parts of the music that are tough, but it's still pretty shaky. What I'm hoping is that once we're in the pit, we're with the performers, we have the lights and scenery, everything will lock into place. I'm really excited to be doing pit work again- it's very different than orchestra works and you have to be on top of things at all time. My pencil has gotten dull with all I've written in- although it doesn't help that I was missing a few pages of music. Next week will determine all! If you're local, the shows are free- come out to see us Thursday-Sunday!

No comments:

Post a Comment