Sunday, November 4, 2012

Month of Thanks Day 4

Today I am thankful for still being able to have adventures. Yesterday I had a wonderful adventure that brought me back to my summers traveling, discovering a new little town, not having any real destination in mind but knowing that I would be happy with a few antique stores, maybe some coffee, a book store and possibly a museum. Yesterday's adventure had all of that and I'm so thankful that I don't have to travel far and wide to find that.

Yesterday's adventure started off with some stark but also beautiful views (of what I later discovered was part of the Oregon Trail).





I found an apple orchard advertised on facebook, offering self-serve 5 gallons of apples for $5. I was in... I parked in the orchard, paid my $5 and picked 5 gallons worth of bright red apples and little baby-sized apples. So delicious and so fun. It wasn't too cold and nobody else was around so I could wander to my little heart's content. I was able to also walk through the side of the orchard with all the plum trees. Just beautiful.









It was imperative that I get some coffee so I headed into downtown Emmett and found a place on the Main Street that had delicious coffee and a slightly cluttered indoor ambiance. The outside porch was perfect for sitting and finishing up my reading for the week.




I find endless joy in finding weird, disturbing things in antique and thrift stores. It will never get old. I'm thankful that one thing I can also rely upon in life is finding something clown-related (and therefore WEIRD) in a thrift or antique store.





As I was leaving town, I drove past the Gem County Museum. I ended up going inside and wandering through the fascinating artifacts. It reminded me a lot of the Museum of Ox. Older volunteers chatting away, pretty empty of people galleries but some really cool, unusual artifacts, including a laying-out board (yep, to lay out people who had died... awesome). In the back, there was a replica of an old school-house from the last 1800s, a bunk-house and blacksmith's workplace and the house where a former Idaho Governor, Frank Hunt, later lived. It was reminiscent of Old Town San Diego.



Having never been to Emmett before, I had no idea what to expect. I was very pleasantly surprised and utterly grateful for the small town adventure.

1 comment:

  1. I think one of the things I'm thankful for is the way you create adventures for yourself! One of the many things I love about you!!

    ReplyDelete