Saturday, December 7, 2013

Oh for Pete's Sake....

Today's prompt is this (verbatim): Do you read? What are your favorite books?

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA

( take a breath...)

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA

Again, if you're just joining the blog, hello again!

If you're a regular, you know what I'm dying with laughter.

Instead of me telling you my favorite books, here are some recent book reviews for you.

 

This is a Red Letter Reads review that I read in about two days. It's about a family traveling to California for the end of the world, despite the fact they are all interanlly falling apart. Jess, the main character, realizes that with every mile they drive west, the cracks in their family and in their ideology get bigger and bigger and she becomes forced to rethink everything she's been taught. As I said, I read this is two days, which bodes well. I really liked Jess's tone and her thought process and I thought the characters, even ones that you would never hear about again, were all really well written and described.


This was on my list of  scariest books that I was reading around Halloween and oh man, was it creepy! Basically, it's broken into two sections: the first is from the point of view of a very shy, somewhat messed up man who wins the football pools, uses the money to buy a huge house and kidnaps a girl that he's seen at the Natural History Museum just to keep her. The second part is told from her point of view as she's held in captivity. What is so incredibly creepy about this book is the man doesn't want to do anything but keep her, almost like a specimen he's collected. This is scary because how do you respond to that? He doesn't want to marry her, to murder her, to kiss her, to love her, he just wants to keep her. There's no way to get out of that and that's the scariest thing... As much as I hated the French Lieutenant's Woman, this is how much I adored and was creeped out by The Collector.

 
This just happened to be on the shelf next to another book I was intending to check out and because I had seen this show advertised on Netflix, I thought I'd give it a try. Yes, it's about a werewolf. Yes, it's also about other mystical creatures. Yes, it's got a really supernatural-y (not the show) vibe. No, it's not a great book. It just seemed unfinished, jumped frequently, didn't let you fully invest in characters, and just didn't seem to go anywhere. It never fully explained some things and you felt like the mystery was never explained. Sadly, I think the show is better, although I've only watched three episodes so far.


This was also on the shelf next to another book I was checking out and so I thought I'd also give it a try. Eh.... this is hard to review because I read it in about a day but didn't love it. I think I just got kind of annoyed with the characters and how they were laying everything on so heavily. It really was like a Da Vinci Code, where you knew how the good guys and who the bad guys were and the author almost banged you over the head with what she wanted you to get out of the story. And that kind of bothered me. While it wasn't as terrible as "A Discovery of Witches" (ugh!) I'm not sure I'm planning on reading the sequel(s).


I LOVE books like this. I think it's so difficult to write a scary book and this one reminded me so much of Shirley Jackson's "The Haunting of Hill House". It was so deeply creepy and disturbing and gave me shivers and a lot bloodier than "The Haunting of Hill House." Such a perfect book to read on a cold night to candlelight. It just ups the creep factor!

No comments:

Post a Comment