Sunday, December 8, 2013

Three Things

Today is about three things I'd like to say to people.

What does that even mean?

People I know? People I don't know? My students? My committee? My colleagues?

C'mon, blog prompt people. Let's be more specific here.

OK, here we go.

#1. Learn how to drive, people. For Pete's sake! [Side note: who is Pete? Why is it also for his sake?] Get off your phones, stop shouting at your kids, pick a lane, pick a speed that's somewhat close to the speed limit and let's get a move on here. Thank you.

#2. What do you mean you're bad at keeping in touch? What a lame excuse. Why don't you try this on for size: stop being bad in keeping in touch. It takes less than a minute to send a text message. It takes less than a minute to leave a voice mail. It takes maybe five minutes to send a quick email. My students and I calculate that even if you sleep for eight hours a night, are in class for twelve hours a week, study for 36 hours a week, play sports, do all your necessary things for the day, there are still 22 hours in a week that are free. What can you possibly be doing with yourself that you can't call someone back or send a text or respond to something. OK, rant over...

#3. That last one was a little bit angry. I think I'm just going to sit over here and read my book and be quiet for a little while....

No comments:

Post a Comment